Functional medicine is a holistic approach to health that addresses the root causes of chronic diseases, rather than just treating the symptoms. Functional medicine practitioners such as Dr. Gorman use advanced lab testing, personalized interventions, and lifestyle changes to help patients achieve optimal wellness and prevent future illness.
So let’s explore some of the benefits of functional medicine and how it can help you improve your health and quality of life.
- Functional medicine is personalized. Functional medicine recognizes that each person is unique and has different genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors that influence their health. Functional medicine practitioners take a comprehensive history, perform thorough physical exams, and order specialized lab tests to understand your individual needs and tailor a treatment plan that suits you.
- Functional medicine is also preventive. Functional medicine does not wait for diseases to manifest, but rather seeks to identify and correct the underlying imbalances that predispose you to illness. Functional medicine practitioners use cutting-edge tools such as genomics, metabolomics, and microbiome analysis to assess your risk factors and design interventions that can prevent or delay the onset of chronic conditions.
- Functional medicine is integrative. Functional medicine does not rely on a single modality or discipline, but rather draws from a variety of sources and evidence-based practices to create a comprehensive and effective treatment plan. Functional medicine practitioners may use acupuncture, supplements, herbs, biofeedback, meditation, nutrition, exercise, and other therapies to address your health concerns.
- Functional medicine is empowering. Functional medicine puts you at the center of your own health journey and gives you the tools and support you need to take charge of your well-being. Functional medicine practitioners educate you about your condition, explain the rationale behind their recommendations, and encourage you to participate in your own healing process. Functional medicine also fosters a collaborative relationship between you and your practitioner, where you can share your feedback, concerns, and goals.
- Functional medicine is transformative. Functional medicine does not just aim to reduce your symptoms or manage your disease, but rather to restore your optimal function and vitality. Functional medicine practitioners help you address the physical, mental, emotional, social, and spiritual aspects of your health and guide you towards achieving your highest potential.
If you are interested in learning more about functional medicine, please visit the Institute for Functional Medicine website at https://www.ifm.org/. You can also view Dr. Gorman’s profile at the Institute for Functional Medicine here: Niloufar Gorman | The Institute for Functional Medicine